- This event has passed.
Conversation Circle: Talking About Race – Part 1 (OPEN)
August 13, 2020 @ 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Now is a time in which we need education and open conversation. This is how we will learn and this is how we will do better as a nation.
Join us for as many of our Conversation Circle Series on Talking about Race as you can. This series will run for 7 months and will cover a different topic each month. The resources are all provided through the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History & Culture.
It is important that we each do our own work. But it is also important that we come together to discuss and delve deeper with others that are doing the same work. You are encouraged to join for as many of the discussions as possible.
Please plan to read and view the videos prior to the conversation circle so that you can participate fully and get the most out of the conversation.
These events are free and open to any mother that would like to join the conversation.
During the month of August we will discuss Building Community.
August Guide – PLEASE VIEW/ READ THESE BEFORE WE MEET FOR EACH SESSION
All resources for the month of August can be found at: https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/community-building
August 13 – (Approx. 45 min)
- Read “Community Building” Intro (1 min)
- Watch Desmond Tutu “Who We Are: Human Uniqueness and the African Spirit of Ubuntu” (4 min)
- Complete “Stop and Think”; Read “The Importance of Community Building”; Read “Community Building in Equity Work”; Complete “Stop and Think” (13 min)
- Read “Safe Spaces to Brave Spaces” (1min)
- Watch “Safe Spaces” (2 min)
- Read “The Power of Storytelling” (1 min)
- Watch Brene Brown, “Ther Power of Vulnerability” (21 min)
- Watch “An Introduction to Story Corps” (3 min)
August 24 – (Approx. 50 min)
- Complete “Stop and Thinks”; Read “The Courageous Conversation Compass” and “Gratitude” (8 mins)
- Watch “Not in our Town: Manhattan Beach” (13 min)
- Watch Stephen Jon Thompson TED Talk “Creating a Community and Finding Purpose” (14 min)
- Watch “If Cities Could Dance” (3 min)
- Watch Story Corps “I Remember Never Saying Hi” (3 min)
- Watch the “60-second strategy” videos (2 min)
- Watch John McKnight “Let’s Think” (4 min)
- Read and Consider “Let’s Talk” and “Let’s Act” (5 min)