- This event has passed.
Expert Panel Roundtable: Improving Equitable Outcomes in Maternal Care
March 5 @ 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
“Most women in the U.S. are not dying during childbirth because of the complexity of their health conditions, but because of the barriers they faced in accessing high-quality maternal care—particularly those who were poor or faced racial discrimination.”
2010 Amnesty International report ; Deadly Delivery: The Maternal Health Care Crisis in the USA
According to Harvard Public Health:
Starting in 2008, human rights groups around the world began calling on the U.S. to do more to keep its mothers from dying. The United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) expressed concern about inequities in maternal mortality and recommended that steps be taken to improve access to maternal health care, family planning, and sexuality education and information.
A 2012 Amnesty International report declared that these steps weren’t enough: “Preventable maternal mortality can result from or reflect violations of a variety of human rights, including the right to life, the right to freedom from discrimination, and the right to the highest attainable standard of health.” Having ratified two key international treaties guaranteeing these rights, the authors wrote, the U.S. government should be held accountable.
We have a system that is not adequately caring for our mothers, particularly black mothers. This is a fact that needs to be heard far and wide, and we need all parties to take part in a conversation to figure out the best way to deal with this crisis.
The first HER Health Collective Roundtable of 2021 is scheduled for March 5th at 3:30 pm.
We will be discussing Inequalities in Maternal Outcomes with several of our 2021 Expert Panelists.
The 2021 HER Expert Panel Includes:
- Katherine Andrew – MPH, RD, LDN – Registered Dietitian Nutritionist – Areas of Specialty: gut health, food sensitivities, hormones, family food dynamics & intuitive eating
- Emily Chaffee – Certified Birth & Postpartum Doula, Massage and Bodywork Therapist, Certified Educator of Infant Massage, Fertility Specialist, founder & owner Carolina Birth & Wellness
- Blair Cuneo – Certified Physician Assistant, Carolina Total Wellness – The Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner
- Dr. Erkada DeRouen – MD – Family Medicine – Lifestyle medicine board certified physician – Associate Medical Director Telemedicine, focus: health equity and diversity and inclusion in the telemedicine and start up space.
- Dr. Holly Durney – PT, DPT, OCS – Pivot Physical Therapy & Smart Athlete Physiotherapy
- Dr. Lisa Folden – DPT – Healthy Phit Physical Therapy & Wellness – Mom Life Coaching
- Charryse Johnson – Counselor – LCMHC, NCC – Jade Integrative Counseling & Wellness – certified Prepare/Enrich marriage facilitator – specialized training in trauma through IATP – extensively trained in the Unified Treatment Protocol for treatment of disordered eating.
- Dr. Joni Johnson – MD – Pediatrician, Health and Wellness Coach, certified Empowerment Strategist – Areas of specialty: Learning Disabilities, Attention Deficit Disorder, Autism and mood disorders.
- Kerry Jones – RD – Pediatric and Maternal Nutrition – Milestones Nutrition
- Paula Kettula – LCSW – Psychotherapist & Transformational Parent Coach – EMDR Therapy, Play Therapy, Sandplay Therapy, AMI Primary Montessori Diploma – “Becoming a Peaceful Parent” host
- Dr. Brittany Kopec – DC – Chiropractor – Verve Holistic Health
- Dr. Susan Lovelle – MD, MACM – Holistic Wellness – Founder, CEO Premiere Wellness
- Anna Lutz – MPH, RD, LDN, CEDRD-S – Lutz Alexander and Associates Nutrition Therapy – Non-diet Nutritional Counseling (HAES & Intuitive Eating)
- Nicole Wallace – Counselor – LCMHC- Transformation Counseling & Consulting; former Wake County educator and school counselor
- Dr. Sheryl Ziegler – Psychologist – Registered Play Therapist, Author of Mommy Burnout™, TEDx Speaker, Podcast Host of The Dr. Sheryl Show – Specializing in anxiety, depression and chronic stress
* * * * *
This event is free to HER Circle members.
Non-members are welcome to join for just $10, please purchase your ticket via Eventbrite to receive the meeting room link to your inbox.
Members do not need to purchase a ticket on Eventbrite and can access the zoom link via the Monday member email or the private Facebook group.
Not a member of HER Circle yet? What are you waiting for? We’d love to have you!
Our fun, supportive community of women is the perfect way to build your circle of mom friends, take time for yourself, and gain access to the expert information you care about most. Many of our events are virtual and provide you with a place to connect with like-minded women, build authentic friendships, and connect with trusted experts to get your most pressing questions answered!
Join the waitlist and be the first to know when we’ve re-opened the doors to new members!