Our quarterly Roundtables provide an opportunity for us to bring together our Expert Panelists. Our panelists are from a variety of industries who all have varying expertise and opinions. Together, they discuss important issues that are relevant to mothers in our community. It’s the perfect way to initiate collaboration, create partnerships and learn different viewpoints all with the goal of bringing attention to maternal health. In our final Roundtable of 2021, the panelists are exposing the harmful expectations of motherhood and confronting the unrealistic and unachievable ideals. Our goal through this discussion is to help moms recognize and manage the expectations. The experts strive to help moms to establish in advance what is realistic so disappointment is minimized and moms can feel more secure in their abilities.
- Common expectations of motherhood vs. the reality.
- The shifting of expectations throughout history.
- Reading an excerpt from an article in Time Magazine by Claire Howorth,The Goddess Myth: Why Many New Mothers Feel Guilt and Shame, how the goddess myth plays out in our expert’s perspective industries and is it actually a pervasive problem.
- The role society plays in the goddess myth and what needs to shift to lessen the guilt and shame moms experience.
- Mom shaming as another source of pressure, how to deal with it and how to correct the behavior if we inadvertently find ourselves being the one doing the shaming.
- The pressure of comparison and learning to embrace the individual development of their child(ren) without feeling the need to compare their progress to others.
- The experts share their own experiences of working through the expectations of motherhood.
- Emily Chaffee – Certified Birth & Postpartum Doula, Massage and Bodywork Therapist, Certified Educator of Infant Massage, Fertility Specialist, founder & owner Carolina Birth & Wellness
- Anna Lutz – MPH, RD, LDN, CEDRD-S – Lutz Alexander and Associates Nutrition Therapy – Non-diet Nutritional Counseling (HAES & Intuitive Eating)
- Nicole Wallace – Counselor – LCMHC- Transformation Counseling & Consulting; former Wake County educator and school counselor
- Kerry Jones – MPH, RD, LDN – Owner of Milestones Nutrition
- Dr. Joni Johnson – MD – Pediatrician and certified Health and Wellness Coach with over 12 years of clinical experience supporting individuals with ADHD, autism, learning disabilities, mood disorders and behavior problems.
- Dr. Holly Durney – DPT and APTA Orthopedic Certified Specialist and has pelvic floor rehabilitation training from the Herman and Wallace Pelvic Rehabilitation Institute – Smart Athlete PT