We had the pleasure of sitting down with Jess Myhre, co-host of Only You: A One and Done podcast. Together with her husband Pierce, Jess works hard to try to bring humor, understanding and a deep well of empathy to the topic of being one and done. Jess shares a lot about her journey and how they made the decision to be one and done, she attacks the stigma of raising an only child and explores how solid parenting is the best way to ensure a happy childhood for our kids.
This is such an important episode for everyone to listen to with so many valuable insights, but is an especially important episode if you are considering being a one and done family, or have a one and done family in your life.
- How motherhood fundamentally changes you as a person
- How things like traumatic birth experiences, postpartum anxiety/ depression, PTSD can play a role in the decision to be one and done
- The growing prevalence of one and done families, and how woefully under-discussed the topic is
- Typical stigmas only children face
- The importance of self-approval and letting go of others opinions
- The wide variety of reasons for parents to decide to have just one child
- Siblings don’t make a child less lonely, and other myths of only children
- How to handle judgements and comments from others about family decisions
- The importance of leaving room to change your mind
- Parenthood and the effect on marriages
- So much of parenting is re-parenting yourself
Jess is reading: Bringing Up Bébé
Jess is watching: Gilmore Girls
Jess is listening to: The Deep Dive with Jessica St. Clair and June Diane Raphael